Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Roasted red peppers

We love roasted red peppers but to buy them in the jar is so expensive. Last year, after doing some research, I bought huge amounts of peppers at the Regional Market, roasted them and then froze them. The plan was to enjoy them as a little bit of summer through our long, dreary, cold winter. The reality? Never ate a one!!! In preparation for the big move, I started to go through the fridge and freezer to clean it out and came across all these red peppers and decided their time had come. (I also started to clean the oven - whole 'nother story there, peeps!) I whipped up some roasted red pepper hummus and a pasta dish.

The hummus recipe came from the All Recipes site (one of my favs for recipes - all nutritional information is included! Spiced Sweet Roasted Red Pepper Hummus

Very easy and delicious. Because I wasn't using jarred peppers, I actually weighed mine out - and added a little extra! I added about 3 tablespoons olive oil because, well, we love olive oil! We love regular hummus but this recipe makes a nice change. I sliced a pita in half, spread the hummus in each side. Then I loaded each half with romaine lettuce, diced cucumber, tomato and avocado for A's lunch today. He also took some gluten-free crackers with all-natural peanut butter and his usual raw almonds and chocolate covered prunes. I also threw in 3 vegan chocolate chip cookies I made yesterday.

No comments: