Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Food post

I made the International Quinoa Salad yesterday. It turned out pretty good. It is a perfect light summer salad. I am kicking myself though. I bought fresh corn on the cob to cut off and add to the salad and I forgot! The dressing is pretty tart. I think next time, in addition to remembering the corn, I will add a little sugar (just a touch) and up the adobo chili powder to give it even more kick. We like it spicy here.

This recipe made a humongous amount. I took some over to Budge's last night (maybe she will weigh in with her opinion on it), we ate it for dinner, I packed it in A's lunch today and there is still a big container in the fridge. I will say that A is taking quite the lunch today - it looked very pretty in his lunch box. He has a container of the quinoa salad, a container of some leftover marinated and grilled artichokes, some raw almonds and chocolate covered prunes (I personally would pass on the prunes. I would eat the chocolate off of them first though!) and a serving of fresh strawberries and blueberries. His lunch contains tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, blueberries, avocado and nuts - 6 of the ten superfoods! Pretty darn impressive, if I say so myself :-)

For dinner last night, I put the salad on romaine lettuce leaves and toasted up some buttered Columbus bread that we had leftover. A actually took the bread, put the quinoa salad on it and topped it off with a romaine lettuce leaf as the top layer. It was very good that way - easy to eat. Kind of a bread/lettuce sandwich.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've made my list and pan on trying this for dinner tonight! J

Bridget said...

It was delicious! Last night I thought I give it a try and found that I couldn't stop eating. Thankfully I stopped myself so I could bring it for lunch today. I didn't have any bread, but brought some tortilla chips to add some more crunch.

runswithdog said...

Anon -

Let us know what you think of the recipe after you make it. Just be sure to remember the corn! LOL