Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Monday, June 05, 2006

Overtraining

Yesterday, Budge casually mentioned to me that she thought maybe we were overtraining. It is something that I have been given much thought to lately. I always start out on these ambitious 16-18 week training programs and usually get sick around week 10. I am thinking that next year for Green Lakes I might just do a simple 8 week training program. Hey, it's not like I will make any money doing this or even finish in the middle of the pack :-). Why should I kill myself or make myself sick. Is it a coincidence that my two shingles outbreaks have happened while training intensively? After Green Lakes, I am going to take a couple of easy weeks and then launch into an easy 6-8 weeks program for the Bud 10k.

No comments: