Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Catch Up

Saturday I went out to Green Lakes with Wen and Budge. We did the bike and run route. I believe everyone who bikes much will crash. It is the law of averages. My day came Saturday. We were heading up the first big hill and all three of us were moving pretty slow. I was third in line, behind Budge and Wen. I glanced down to see where I was with my gears and if I could shift anymore and when I looked up, both Budge and Wen were stopped! I managed to unclip my left foot, unfortunately I went over to the right :-)
One positive is that if you fall over while only going 4.5 mph, chances are you aren't going to get too hurt. When I hit the ground, my right foot popped out and the momentum made me do a little somersault. I felt like I was moving very slow, but I just couldn't stop. Everything happened in slow motion and I remember being amused, even while I was falling, at Budge and Wen's faces! I managed not to go over the bank which was quite steep. I gouged my left leg on my gear but that was the only injury. Bike is just fine (which really is what matters :-)).

Note to self: don't take your eyes off the road.

We finished the ride - all three of us making it up the big Big hill without walking, but there was some serious huffing and puffing, at least on my behalf.

After taking our time transitioning, we took off on the run. I had a rocky start, a touch of nausea and some stomach stitches. I think my fitness is better - that would have been enough to slow me to a walk a few years ago. This year I was able to run through it until I felt better. It was a hard run, no doubt about it, and I was very tired, and at times felt badly but it was tolerable. Our run was 35:29 for an 11:05 m/m. Not too shabby, if I say so myself :-)
We were going to letterbox after - Spark has a series she wants us to pull so she can replant elsewhere. We took one look at the hill we would have had to climb and bagged it. Just didn't have it in us.

Tonight Budge came over and we did the two big loops in my neighborhood. We took Mo with us. I hadn't run with him in a few days and he was itching to go. Budge was ahead of me by about 5-6 feet for a good part of the run and Mo was trying to keep up with her. He forgot he was attached to the slow me! We did our 2.7 in 28:38 for 10:36 m/m pace. I am pretty happy with that but I did feel like I was pushing it.

No comments: