Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Tri Training Week 10

We are in week 10 of an 18 week training schedule for the Green Lakes Triathlon, June 17. Last week was a bit of a bust - unavoidable. Had my house full of painters, husband gone, Budge's husband very sick with kidney stones. But we are back on track this week! It is a maintenance week and calls for 4 runs, 3 swims, 2 bikes and 2 weight lifting sessions. Budge and I ran last night for 30 minutes, did about 2.8 miles. We didn't take Momo as he had just eaten an hour before but he was giving us significant, 'oh, please, please, please, take me' eye contact. Budge is running me hard :-/ She has really improved speed-wise the past 2 months and I feel like she is practically plodding along when we run together. However.......at the library today (to pay my $10.25 fine!!!!! Yes, folks, that is how crazy it has been! Not to mention, I had 6 books on reserve that were returned because I didn't pick them up!) I thumbed through the latest Runners and they had two workouts for runners of different speeds:

1st one - 1)Warmup 5 minutes easy jogging. 2)Slower runner takes lead and picks up the pace for the next 5 minutes, followed by 2 minutes recovery of slow jogging. 3) Faster runner takes lead, running at hard effort for two minutes while slower runs at their own hard effort for two minutes 4)2 minutes recovery easy jogging while faster runner doubles back to meet slower runner. Repeat #3 and 4 two/three times and then cool down with 10 minute recovery jog.

2nd one - 1)5 to 10 minutes easy jogging 2) both runners take turns choosing course (street, direction, etc.) for 3 minutes at a time. Pace is moderate but faster runner must double back and join up with slower runner before the end of their 3 minute segment. Each runner takes three turns choosing direction. Finish with easy 10 minute jog.

Maybe if we do something along these lines, we will still be able to run together and get the workouts we both need. It was a good run yesterday which I think we both needed as a confidence builder. Saturday we were to run 60 minutes and I think we got to just under 50. She was tired and I developed an odd, never had it before, cramp in my left leg, behind my knee. I would walk it out and then it would reappear as soon as I started to run.

Anyways, this week I am determined to do my best. Might not get 3 swims in but I can live with that but 4 runs? Yeah, gotta do those and get back to the weights.

1 comment:

runswithdog said...

It's great if you are coming to watch. It is nerve inducing if you are participating :-)