Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Saturday, December 29, 2007

Release the Hounds!!!

I am not a big devotee of running on consecutive days - too depressing and I am usually too lazy. But my running has taken a back seat during this holiday season so I conned Bridg into going out for a short one. She hasn't run in a while so I knew she was feeling guilty - sucker! I took Cosmo over to her house, thinking to do 3. She decided to run with John. Surprise, surprise, Bill joined us with their other two hounds, Rimmy and Maggie.

So, there were 3 humans and 4 greyhounds out for a little jaunt. John has run before, but I am not sure about Rimmy and Maggie.

I so wished I had a camera! They were remarkable to see. Maggie was so happy, looking all around, occasionally breaking into a slow motion canter. Rimmy was all business. Once he knew what was expected, he put his head right on out and just went - all forward motion, focused and intense. All four dogs seem like they really liked moving and covering ground as a pack. We were on a back street with no traffic so at times, we just took up the whole road. Maggie and Rim did 1.3 miles and then Bill started walking them while the rest of us continued on.

At about the two mile mark, John slowed to a walk and took a potty break. We walked a little bit and then started running again and finished at their house - 2.59 miles.

The feeling of running in the midst and watching the pleasure of these four greyhounds was absolutely awesome. It made for a great run.

3 comments:

Bridget said...

They did have a blast. I don't think Maggie would have gone that far if she wasn't in the pack. Rim is an awesome runner once you get him focused. Key word..focused. I was awfully proud of John too. With a little more training he can get up to two miles.

If I could figure a way to take both the boys? Maggie can't go any farther than she did because of her back leg, but she can get out there once in awhile for a mile run.

Next time. Both of us will bring a camera!

bazu said...

awesome!

happy new year, Trac!

Anonymous said...

no photos?!?!?!?!

aw man.

it sounded fun. they do lift spirits.