Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Saturday, December 15, 2007

Run Report

I realize the numbers for yesterday's run don't look all that impressive, but if you break them down, there is a different story to be told.

5 miles @ 12m/m pace.

Mile 1 - 12 m/m warm up
4x800 progressive intervals w/ 800 recovery (usually walk for .1 mile then back up to 12 m/m
#1 at 10:30
#2 at 10:20
#3 at 10:10
#4 at 10:00

Now, I realize that a 10 m/m pace is a piece of cake, a walk in the park for most runners - for me it is a sprint. Seriously, set that treadmill at 6 mph and it is an all out sprint for me! And let's just say that my last interval was a spectacle. I was the only person in the gym, running 10 m/m with sweat flinging off my elbows, flinging off my hair, doing that groaning/moaning/grunting breath exhalation (you all know what I am talking about!). It was a pathetic sight. My left knee also went hinky on me so that I had to actually walk the last .25. It was one of those things when I extended it and put weight on it running it would hitch up. Didn't do it while I was walking either, so all the old people who can go at the gym during the day were treated to the sight of:

Me: Damn knee hurts. Walk.
1 minute later, Me: Hmm, doesn't hurt now, speed up.
15 seconds later, Me: Ouch, ouch ouch, slow down.
1 minute later, Me: Hmm, doesn't hurt now, speed up.
15 seconds later, Me: Ouch, ouch ouch, slow down.
And on and on for a quarter mile.

Doesn't hurt now, either. Of course yesterday, having the brilliant idea to walk up two flights of stairs to Bridget's office, it took me about 5 minutes to get up them, with lots of pauses. I finally had to just straight jacket my leg and swing my leg up the stairs. My embarrassment was completed when Bahar and Michael (who we were meeting there) came up behind me and witnessed the sorry spectacle.

WW Report - not a completely stellar week for our little group but we still lost - 4.5 pounds. Our total gone now is 39.5 pounds. I am very excited that we are almost assured of cracking the 40 lb mark next week. Then on to 50!

3 comments:

Sue said...

I feel for you. Today, I was running 5.7 mph and thought I was doing great. Sweat was flying everywhere. The girl next to me was doing 7.9 mph.

It makes you want to say
DAMN!!!!

All my tomorrows said...

Keep truckin'. You're doing great. 1/2 Marathon is closer than you think!

IHateToast said...

give yourselves credit. you're still losing during these scary weeks between thanksgiving and christmas. most people gain. more than a bit.

goncrats!