Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Gross Post

If you don't have a dog, you might want to skip this post.

If you don't run, you might want to skip this post.


Why?


In my experience, dog people and runners have high gross tolerances. Dog people deal with lots of poo, dog flatulence, the devouring of dead animals and other marginally civilized canine behaviors.


Runners deal with lots of undesirable bodily experiences. Face it, running can be gross. Gross things can happen while you are running - gut bombs, snot rockets, nausea, unexpected commencement of certain female functions, etc. Runners can be repulsive. And you can subject others to gross things when they have to run behind you for three miles because they, through no fault of their own but from poor genetics, are slower.


Consider yourself warned.


Today's run - 9:30 am. Temperature - 28 degrees. Skies - Overcast. Perfect running conditions. A little chilly but it warmed up to 34 degrees by the time we were done.


I run with a Handsfree leash from a company called LarzPetGear. I love it, absolutely love it. It has allowed my form to remain efficient and natural while still providing security and range of motion for Cosmo. I ran with a leash for a while but handsfree is really where it's at.


Everytime I head out for a run, I grab the poop bags because, well, Cosmo poops about 3 minutes into any run, 99.7 percent of the time. He is pretty regular in that aspect. I tie two bags onto the waist belt, like so:



When he does go, I scoop, tie the bag tight and tie it back on the belt. Don't get too grossed out - he is fed raw and his poops are very minimal, nothing like kibble poos.

So, today, he goes. I scoop and tie and think about how it is my lucky day because it is trash day and I might just happen across the garbage truck and be able to toss the load. As I am contemplating this wonderful scenario, I get a whiff of something nasty. I wonder if I didn't tie the bag tightly and glance down. This is what I see:

Oh, yeah, the poop bag somehow, someway, deposited a nice streak of dog doo right across my sweatshirt. Good thing I always bring two and was able to rebag everything.
I am used to carrying dog poo while running, but wearing it was a first for me.


This post is dedicated to the two people in my life who most love gross stories. They aren't afraid of a little dog poo.........

6 comments:

the little one said...

Okay, not only do you set out for a run when it is 28 degrees, but you do so with the knowledge that you will very soon also be running with dog poo tied to your belt. You are a seriously dedicated woman. Heck, a little dog poo streak what is that to you? Nothing. You're the real deal.

Bridget said...

OH. MY. GOD. ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, at least with a big dog doo spray you wouldn't have to worry about being mugged on the running trail.

Oh, and I can't imagine how the ride home was! ROFL!!!

iJuls said...

Funny. I think I have you beat on this one. I wasn't even running. I was sleeping and he dog barked. I let him out, and in, and returned to bed. An hour later (repeat). About 5 minutes after that, he barked again. I told him to lie down and shut up. He did, until a couple of hours later. I got up to let him out but apparently he needed to go out the other time too. EWWW!

iJuls said...

I forgot to mention that I spent the night on the computer looking at a puppy. I actually filled out an application to adopt it (as a Christmas gift) - and thought what am I thinking; I've go enough on my plate. But the thought of a dog that would be able to run with me was tempting. If it comes through, then it was meant to be.

Thanks for commenting on my blog.

runswithdog said...

Juls,

Now, *that* is gross! Actual contact of the flesh with dog poo definitely trumps textile contact! LOL
Best of luck with the adoption. I'm pulling for you.

Anonymous said...

ew! ew ew ew ewwwww!