Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas Morning

It is almost 8 am. I fired my computer this morning so I could find Bazu's sourdough pancake recipe. I want to make them this morning.

The dogs are all spread out on different beds, happily digesting their Christmas breakfast. All with the exception of Maggie. She didn't want to eat her regular food. She has a tendency to get a grumply tummy when it is empty so she is happily digesting a few big dog biscuits. Hey, it's Christmas morning and I can spoil her if I want to. Bridget can deal with the aftermath of a non-eating, spoiled dog when she returns home.

So, I am sitting here, waiting for the recipe page to load, when I hear the scanner go off. My son, who only minutes ago, was a typical 19 yr old, sacked out in his mess of a room, surrounded by his snowboarding paraphernalia, comes bounding out of his room, awake and ambulatory in a matter of seconds. This is the kid who usually takes a half hour or so to get fully awake.

I tell him to be careful as he bolts out the door, boots untied, coat only half on him.

Less than five minutes later, I hear the fire truck sirens in the distance. I know the trucks are staffed with people, just like him, who rushed out of their houses at 8 am on Christmas morning because their scanners went off.

I hope everyone is all right. I will wait until he returns to make his pancakes.

4 comments:

Sue said...

I hate hearing fire sirens on holidays!!! But thanks to your son!! Because of people like him, we have help no matter what day or time it is!!

I hope you had a great Christmas!!!

bazu said...

Merry Christmas, Trac, and I hope everything worked out well. We saw fire trucks this morning too and thought what it must be like to be on duty today...

Bridget said...

Hopefully it was a false alarm and everyone made it home.

Thanks for spoiling the pups! I have a feeling we will be switching Maggie's food...again.

Anonymous said...

sirens are never good, but at least on ambos they mean there is a chance. i always wonder about those without the sirens.

belated merry merry.