Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Friday, November 09, 2007

Definitely a 'why the hell am I doing this?' kind of morning. Scale shows absolutely no movement in the last week. Yeah, yeah, I know, I shouldn't weight myself every morning.....

I have the metabolism of.......um.....I don't know. A sloth? Some creature that has a glacial metabolism. I once visited a doctor who told me to look on the bright side. Shipwrecked on an island with no food, I would probably survive the longest. Huh. Doesn't make me feel any better about myself.

Good news is I have been meticulous with tracking my food. There is no fudging, no cheating, nothing. I am hitting up 3 classes (2 core conditioning, one weight lifting) a week, in addition to my own cycle class and running. The bad news is I seem to be doing this just fine on about 1200 calories a day! One thing I do know is my diet is very heavy on the carbs. Of course. I eat a vegan diet. Very hard to do the atkins thing when you are a vegan. I do know my protein intake is low (at least according to American stats, I think using WHO I hit the minimums). So I am going to try to fit in 6 oz of tofu every day (roughly 20% of my points). Any other ideas of a protein I can use in place of an english muffin (whole wheat)?

Everyone else is doing great so far on the program. S and K showed up at my cycle class last night and did great. Especially K who was there for her very first time. S did fine managing the physical part of the class, I knew it wouldn't tax her much cardio wise but she was very uncomfortable with the seat. She will get used to it. At one point, she actually said she would rather go out for a three mile run than be cycling. Who would have thought? I remember when she started running and 1 mile, much less 3 seemed almost impossible and here she was throwing it out there as a more desirable and do-able activity than cycling!

I cannot wait until Tuesday night because I think Sue and S will show some real results with their weigh in. I just hope I haven't gained.....

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. The doctor has an interesting point. Have you ever thought of trying out for SURVIVOR? ;o)

Taking the place of English muffins for breakfast? How about fake bac'n on toast? Mmmm!

That's what I would do (if I had the time/energy to cook in the morning, that is-!).

Jen

bazu said...

tempeh and sunflower seeds are my favorite protein foods. especially sunflower seeds in the shell, they have so few calories, and you have to work so hard to eat them, that you feel satisfied for a relatively small calorie cost.

good luck! weight loss is crazy- you might show nothing one week and 4 lbs. the next. I admire your discipline!

Anonymous said...

i was going to have a naughty brekky, but you've inspired me to be good.

Sue said...

At least you can have an english muffin.....Now I really thinking about the points system now!!!

Sue said...

I just step on the scale too. It has not moved!!! No results for Sue this week!

Anonymous said...

I was just at Naturetyme and they said Quinoa is a great source of protein besides soy and seeds. We're not vegan but Mags hates meat so we are always on the lookout.

Stop scale watching! You're looking great. You know the saying, "muscle weighs more than fat", and you didn't mention if the jeans are falling off yet (bike shorts aren't a good gauge).

sherri

Anonymous said...

Beans beans and more beans! Good luck with WW.

the little one said...

You're right that you shouldn't weigh yourself every day. Try and make it once a week. Then, if you lose weight you'll be totally psyched, but if you aren't losing every day (or just about), you won't get down. Plus, you're clearly building muscle, which is what makes the real difference in the long run.

Breakfast - are you anti-fake meat? I'm a big vegan sausage fan. Oatmeal is also great. Best of luck!