Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Monday, March 05, 2007

Gulp......

My mileage figures so far:

18.97173 mpg
21.11653 mpg
19.41233 mpg
23.12228 mpg

The last tank was figured on 149 miles of complete highway driving.

My old Toyota Sienna minivan with a v-6 engine got better mileage than this v-4. I think I might have to hand in my environmental, liberal, right-wing leaning, vegan membership card
:-(
And what is worse is in spite of the mileage, I do so love my Element. I shouldn't love a car - it is an inanimate object, a tool to use to further an end. But I do love it. Man, loads of white middle class guilt here..........

4 comments:

bazu said...

do you mean "left-wing leaning"...?

I'm surprised that the Element gets such crap mileage. Booo! Is that what they say it gets?

meesh said...

Sorry to hear the mileage is so wonky on your new car. (boooo hisss) May I ask about how fast you generally drive on the highway? Sometimes the mileage will just go to hell if you go over 55 or 60mph. I used to have a little Toyota Celica that did pretty well until I hit 60. Then the gas tank just emptied out. (sigh)
Hang in there and don't let that white middle-class guilt getchya down! ;)

Iowa Greyhound said...

Maybe it's the cold weather. :-) What does Jen's Scion do for mileage?

Anonymous said...

LOL, living in a new housing development where a meadow ecosystem used to thrive before it was happily razed for new homes, AND NOW a gas guzzling SUV! Man Trace, can I still be friends with you? ROFL, you are turning into.... a suburban yuppie! ROFLMAO! You know I still love ya of course! ;o)

Well, for all its worth Trace, your vehicle is still new so the engine still needs to be broken in. From what I've read, it takes a few thousand miles for this "process" to take place. So maybe you'll get up to 22-24 MPG someday. That's not bad for an SUV with 4WD.

Iowa, my Scion's sticker says 31 MPG city, 34 MPG highway but I am MUCH smaller than an Element (although same shape almost)and no 4WD (although I do have a Traction Control feature that came in handy yesterday when I went into a 360 on the ice-ughh). I average 32-33 MPG mixed driving so the sticker was pretty accurate. A few weeks ago I was averaging 28, VERY low, which ticked me off until I realized my tires were half-inflated! Whoops! Now that I have them inflated properly again, I get about 300 miles to the tank mixed driving.

My Scion is like the budget "Mini Me" of Trace's Element. :o) If only she would have gotten a black Element it would have been perfect, LOL! Me & Mini Me! ROFL. Of course, she is not a bumper sticker person like I am, so we would not have matched PERFECTLY, but still... it would have been pretty funny. :o)

Jen