Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Monday, November 06, 2006

New shoes

For me, new running shoes rate as one of life's greatest pleasures. Nothing beats getting a new pair - the way they smell, the way they feel, the way they look, the possibilities they offer, gonna run faster, gonna run longer. I buy probably 4 pairs a year and it never gets old, never gets blase. I *always* feel that purchasing new shoes is an event. I am a neutral runner, but a plodder (damn that 20 lbs I really, really want to lose!) so I run in Adidas Super Nova and have for years. They have discontinued my style in my width and I try not to hyperventilate or panic thinking about it. I don't know what I am going to do.

So the story is......I bought new shoes at the beginning of the summer. Bridget also around the same time bought elastic laces for her cycle shoes that lace and her running shoes - all in preparation for her first (and last? I don't know - I hope not!) triathlon. I kept my face straight when she said she was going to use the speed laces on her cycle shoes and sure enough, she figured out pretty quickly that wasn't going to work. She gave me that pair and I put them in my running shoes. My new running shoes, or so I thought.

When I replace my shoes, I always keep the old pair around because there is still a lot of non-impact life in them. Unfortunately, I am not a sneaker wearer so you won't see me wearing my old shoes much.

You see where this is going. I put the laces in my old shoes, put the new shoes up on a shelf in the closet and I have been running in my old shoes all summer. I just figured this out last week.

2 comments:

All my tomorrows said...

Uh oh spagetti oh...Hahahaha! At least you figured it out! And it's like new AGAIN! :-)

runswithdog said...

Yeah, it only took me months though to figure it out. Call me doofus and I will come running! D'oh!