Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Dangerous times and a new playlist

One of the hazards of reading/talking to people about their runs is sometimes they make things that you know are ridiculous sound reasonable. For instance, All My Tomorrows ran a half marathon last weekend. She had a great race, it sounded like fun and most dangerously of all.......it sounded 'do-able'.

The last time I fell victim to this syndrome, I found myself out in an open water, mass start swim for a triathlon, practically peeing in my wetsuit. I know better! I must resist! My Y co-worker Kelle is another dangerous person to talk to. She makes it all seem reasonable and fun.

Anyways, it really is a losing battle. As I showered this morning, I was mulling over a return to the Green Lakes Tri because this past year was really not a good race for me. I walked up the big hill because my cleat came loose. I have never walked up that hill. That did not make me happy and I know I can have a better race next year. Ah, the insanity.

I have been feeling very good about running lately, and that makes me nervous. This morning was an easy 2.2 mile run with Cos. We did it in 24.50 - a little bit over an 11 m/m pace. Yeah, not setting the world on fire here folks! But in my defense, we did have to stop for a poop break. We always have to stop for a poop break, without fail. I passed the next few minutes pondering the thought that maybe my race time would be a few seconds a mile faster. After all, it has to slow me down carrying that poop, right?

A new run playlist helped. I consider music to be the opiate of the running masses (with apologies to Lenin). Yeah, I know there are those who like to be alone with their thoughts and like to be 'present in the moment' when they run. Not me. I want music. Lots of it. Fast and hard. To keep my mind off what I am doing. I consider my iPod to be a gift from the gods (and the husband) and THE major advancement of the human race in the 21st century.

My main requirement for running music is it has to be fast and I have to be able to sing along with it (not that I ever can actually sing aloud while I am running but I sing along in my mind!)

My new playlist:
Volunteers - Jefferson Airplane
Are you Gonna Be My Girl - Jet - This song sets a nice little groove that makes it easy to settle in for a run.
Hung Up - Madonna - Love it, love it, love it.
Bring Me To Life - Evanescence - scarfed from a cycle cd someone loaned me. I just like the song.
The Jungle - Guns N Roses - Axel Rose.....my guilty pleasure, I even love him in a kilt.
Hey Jealousy - Gin Blossoms - pure pop. I love this song.
Whiskey in the Jar - Metallica - always nice to contemplate crime and murder on a run......
Sandstorm - Da Rude - this is a fav in cycle classes for nice rhythmic sprints. It is always great for a 'pick up the pace'. Of course, if it plays during a stretch when the 'tank is empty' and you just don't have any more to give, you might just feel suicidal.
The Reason - Sum 41 - This is one of my all-time fav bands to run to. Just love, love, love to run to them.
Hell Song - Sum 41
Crazy Bitch - Buckcherry - Yeah, I know. I will win no prize with this song. It is nasty and misogynist. I would never play it with my mother in the house. I will deny to my mother to my last day on earth that I ever even heard this song, much less ran and sang along to it. I mean, c'mon! The lyrics:
Hey you're crazy bitch
but you fuck so good
I’m on top of it
When I dream I’m doing you all night
scratches all down my back
to keep me right on
But you know what? It's only rock 'n' roll, folks. It is supposed to hard, nasty and fun. And this song is hard, nasty and fun. And I like running to it. No apologies.
Julie Ann - Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver - I harbor a deep and abiding love for 'old school', high-lonesome bluegrass. This particular version of the song I run to is kick ass live. Like bluegrass or not, listening to this, you would have to agree they are stellar, world class muscians without peers.
Lit Up - Buck Cherry - What can I say? Brash, energetic, raucous, visceral. I can usually gasp out, 'Are you fucking high?' at the appropriate time even while running.
Cold Hard Bitch - Jet - pure derivitive rock 'n' roll. Still great to run and sing along to.
I'll Melt With You - Modern English - Lots of fun. Great to run to.
Ride the Chariot to the Devil - Sum 41 - Only a minute long, I use this to try to pick up my pace.
New York, New York - Ryan Adams - This song makes me think of my daughter who is living and going to school in NYC. I end my runs thinking of her.

So that is what I am running to lately. I am open to suggestions :-)

5 comments:

All my tomorrows said...

You know, I think that my boy Henry Rollins played Buckcherry on his show and apologized for that song the same way you did...explaining that it was very misogynist and all but he liked the tune (I'll have to check that...LOL).

I would be happy to email you some MP3s(or rather WMAs) that you can rip down to your player.

I have many fun playlists put together in WMP. You'll have to trust me on it, though. ;-)

p.s. that lastfm.com is cool for getting ideas. After it recordsd your listening habits, it then makes suggestions for things to listen to on its "radio" which allows you to discover new things. Very cool.

Bridget said...

Ha! I have the Crazy Bitch on my MP3 player too, but never told anyone because I knew it was wrong. LOL!!!

runswithdog said...

Oh, it is *so* wrong!!! LOL I only listen to it on my mp3 player, I can't bear to hear it just played out loud :-)
I dread to read what meesh thinks of all this :-)

I have signed up for lastfm.com and have been trying to figure it all out. I did listen to a neighbor radio the other day. Man, people are listening to some strange (but good) stuff. I also didn't realize I listened to that much Van Morrison......

runswithdog said...

My aura is stained beyond repair! LOL

Oh, Jen, only you could put Toto and Tears For Fears in the same sentence at the word 'recent' and not be ironic. I appreciate the offer but I think I will take AMT up on her offer and think about yours....

All my tomorrows said...

I lurrrvveee lurrrvvee lurrvveee Tears for Fears. I saw them live from the 3rd row and they rocked my WORLD!

I'm serious. Not kidding. They were the deal!

Don't disparage the mighty Tears for Fears.