Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Friday, October 20, 2006

Life minutiae

I did a weight training class on Wednesday and I really thought by now my quads would have recovered. :-) My friend, Jen P. teaches it at the local Y. I got out of the habit of taking it over the summer because, well, life got in the way. I only take the class if she promises me that there will be NO walking lunges. I hate them. With a passion. You would think that with the cycling and running, I would be able to toss them without thinking. Well, no. For some reason, walking lunges just absolutely shred my quads. There is no way I could do them and also cycle and run. So, we did no walking lunges but about 80 squats and 40 stationary lunges with a bench. Jen can be really evil. They put me on the class schedule for two cycle classes on the days in between the weight classes. I hope Jen P. comes to them *evil grin* I also really hope I can run tomorrow.....

Yesterday, Jen headed to Utica to visit her poor Grammy in the hospital. We met up and spent a few hours letterboxing before her visit. We hit a few really nice boxes in the Oriskany area. B was having her bronchoscopy that same day. We discussed not going but thought why? I mean, I felt like I should stay home and just wait for a call saying everything went ok but I didn't know why I should. I mean, it was a simple, routine procedure - yes, I know it *wasn't* routine when it is happening to you, but more that it is something doctors do a lot and have very, very, few complications. It was scheduled for noon. I called her husb about 3 and he said everything was fine. I told him to tell her I wouldn't bother her that night but would talk to the next day. On my way home from the PAR meeting (very interesting meeting about living harmoniously with coyotes), I get a call from her at 9:30. 9 f'in 30!!!!!! Yeah, the simple, routine, no complications procedure was anything but!!!! It all turned out ok but the guilt is eating away at me. You know, if I had sat home waiting to hear the news like I thought I should, nothing would have happened (and yes, the whole world does revolve around me LOL). Anyways, to assuage my guilt, I got up early this morning, made her pumpkin muffins, and took her to the hospital for a follow up xray. No way was I letting her drive herself and have a lung collapse on the way!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear your friend had scary medical troubles with her "routine" procedure. I've had enough stays in enough hospitals to know wht fun they can be. Pumkin muffins and a friend to drive you to the doctor are always welcome help.
I know what you mean about the walking lunges. I can't stand doing too many bouncy calf exercises. I can't walk for days after that sort of nonsense. :P