Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Sunday, August 06, 2006

CWI

Cooking While Intoxicated

Budge came over last night to pick up the tables I borrowed for the garage sale. I poured us each a glass of wine and we composed an 'official' moderator email (pending Spark's approval, of course) to a miscreant on the e-group. Because of the booze, it remains to be seen if it will ever be sent but I do think it struck a highpoint in literacy and moderating for us :-)

Anyways, after she left, another glass and a half of wine was consumed. Now, the caveat here is I am a cheap drunk. Very cheap. As in snockered with 2.5 glasses of wine over 3 hours. It doesn't take much to get me blitzed. In fact, I read about a vegan wine tasting in a blog I check occasionally, Yeah, that Vegan Shit and I thought it might be a nice idea to have one when we got into the new house. Well, I am now reconsidering that idea. :-) Anyways, I was determined to cook and had my recipes all chosen and ingredients bought. So I started....
I made brown rice and asparagus and cannellini beans with basil from the FatfreeVegan website. I didn't have cannellini beans so I used great northern beans which substituted fine. Didn't have fresh basil or oregano so I substituted dried which also worked. Don't know why I didn't buy fresh....after all it is August in Central New York and the whole state is a blooming garden. I used brown rice and field blend of black and mahogany rice which really gave the dish a nice texture. This is the asparagus added to the rice to steam:










The beans cooked up really delicious. I don't know why I thought this would be a good picture (blame the wine!):











But here is a better view of them cooking (I don't know how an asparagus piece got in there - blame the wine again!):










I use Westbrae organic canned beans. They are superior in texture to regular canned beans.
Tofu was the accompanying dish to all this but I forgot to take a picture of it cooking (blame the wine!). I made Panfried sesame tofu from the Whole Foods website. Well, I didn't follow the recipe exactly as you were supposed to fry the tofu and then top it with a sauce. I dumped everything in the non-stick fry pan and cooked it all up. It actually came out quite good. The finished product:











The sous chef and floor cleaner:













And one casualty:

3 comments:

runswithdog said...

You would notice that LOL

I bought the asparagus on Tuesday to cook on Thursday and didn't get to it until Sunday. They were a little soft and oozy around the tips but the stalks were fine. So I just cut the tips off and the dish was delish.....

Anonymous said...

You can still be cheap and have a wine-tasting! Case in point, the wine-tasting my feller had: we just asked people to contribute a fixed amount if they were going to be drinking... People were more than happy to do so--it's not too often you get to taste-test a bunch of different wines for, say, $7-10, you know what I'm saying?

runswithdog said...

Thanks for the comment and suggestions. I think I might still have a tasting in the fall, once the move is done. I don't mind the expense of the wine - it is more that I have turned into an alcoholic lightweight. Two glasses and I am smashed and then what kind of hostess would I be? I will definitely have to limit my consumption :-)

Lindy loo - I have tried to comment on your blog but can't. Not sure why.