Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Saturday, June 03, 2006

RIP bunny

Mo spent the night in the bathroom. Don't know why - it wasn't thundering but was very humid and oppressive-feeling. He was pacing and panting so I dragged his bed in the bathroom and he settled down for the night.

At 5:30 am, I woke up feeling the need for a bathroom visit. I figured I should probably just get up since if I went into the bathroom it would get him up and I wouldn't be able to go back to sleep anyways.

I bring the dogs downstairs, take a quick glance for bunnies in hte backyard. All clear? So I let them out. Well, as soon as I saw Angus and Mo take off like bats out of hell, I knew it wasn't all clear. The bunny ran around the back of the shed with Mo right on his tail. The last time he tried this manuever, it was successful. The sharp turns slowed the dogs down just enough that the bunny was able to get to the gate and squeeze out. This time, however, while Mo stayed on the trail of the bunny, Angus went around the other way and it was all over for the bunny. Of course, from the door, I am trying to holler at them (has anyone ever been able to vocally call a terrier and a greyhound off while chasing prey?) QUIETLY because it si 5:45 am and even though we are moving soon, I don't want to make my neighbors too happy to see us leave.

A brief, horrifying tug of war ensued and then it was over :-(. Thank goodness the bunny didn't scream like I have heard them do sometimes. I got out to the backyard with a couple of plastic grocery bags, watched as the poor thing took its last few breaths and then bagged it up - retching and gagging the whole time. All I kept thinking about is, "I am a vegetarian and I am having to deal with this still warm corpse of an innocent animal" Bleech! Incidences like this always make me ponder the disgustingness of eating flesh. I mean, who could look a that little corpse and think, "Hmmmm, I will take it inside, skin and cook it and then put that once living flesh into my mouth, chew, swallow and enjoy it"?

Of course, Mo and Ang were extremely proud of themselves.

No comments: