Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Friday, May 26, 2006

What I am reading

I've been through a dry spell with reading lately. Nothing on reserve at the library, nothing piquing my interest. I have reread a few favs - Down the Commons, The Mirror, Flu by Gina Kolata. So today I decided to treat myself to a library visit and try to relight the fire.

I left with:
Trial by Ice by Richard Parry, the true story of murder and survival on the 1871 Polaris Expedition
Afterlands by Steven Heighton - a novel based on the same Polaris Expedition
Under The Tuscan Sun by Frances Mayes - sometimes I am so bored with myself that I want to read something and pretend I am not myself.
Color of the Sea by John Hamamura - just looked interesting
The Lost Men by Kelly Tyler-Lewis - continuing the arctic survival theme
London by Edward Rutherfurd - I had the urge for a sprawling, Michener-type historical fiction read
The Test by Jean Barema - just because.

Arctic/sea exploration-adventure is one of my all-time fav genres. I haven't visited the genre lately with the exception of a quick rereading of Shadowdivers by Robert Kurson (so good! so good!!!). Then Jen mentioned a book in her blog True North about Peary and Cook's race to the North Pole and it kind of whetted my appetite.

On a side note, when I went to the library I had a $.50 fine. What the heck? I think that makes almost $20 in the past 2-3 months in fines! When you consider the fact that I can renew from my home computer, it is ridiculous. I do need to get a handle on that - I love to support my local library (I consider libraries to be a cornerstone of a democratic society!) but not with fines!

No comments: