Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Monday, May 01, 2006

Sunday, sunny Sunday!

Yesterday I spent the day in the Auburn area with Budge, Spark, Mo and Ang. It was a gloriously sunny, beautiful, spring New York day. Couldn't get any better! I was thinking, 'wow, I could get used to this type of weather' when I checked the forecast and it is back to damp and chilly for us later in the week :-( Oh, well, we have had some beautiful days lately and yesterday was one of them.

Budge, Mo, Ang and I headed to Auburn. Ang spent most the ride hanging out on Budge's lap. He is a great traveller. We first got Spark's letterbox series, Clifford and Lucy's Wildlife Adventures before heading to her house. Very short little trail but 9 stamps planted, illustrating all the wildlife Cliff and Lu see on their walks. We then headed over to Spark's house to hang out a while, eat lunch and let Ang run wild through her house. He always just gets so excited. He got a few swats from Mary, the hospice cat but it didn't faze him. After lunch, while I would have been content to hang out in the backyard in the sun while the dogs slept or got yelled at to stay away from Spark's newly planted forsythia and strawberries, Budge got us all up and moving. We did a few driveby letterboxes. Bromeliad, planted by Spark and not on-line yet, Spark's Auburn Doubledays and Lockwench's As the Crow Flies.

After getting those, we drove out to Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge. I have driven by it countless times on the thruway but never stopped. It is a beautiful area. We looked for Cock o' the Trail's box first. It was hot and dog's weren't allowed out so Budge and Spark found it and brought it back to me where I sat in airconditioned comfort with Mo and Ang :-) This stamp was planted November '03 so I think it is the oldest I have found so far.

We then hopped back into the cars and drove to the Esker Brook area. This area is still part of the Montezuma refuge but dogs are allowed. We were very impressed with Spark's navigational skills. We also had to stop so Budge could pick up some cranberry wine at a local winery. Here, we found another Lockwench box, Esker Brook and a series by Craftymouse called the Accidental Birdwatcher. Awesome bird stamps! We took our time and inked them as close as we could to the birds' actual coloring and they turned out awesome! Beautiful stamps and a great area for hiking.

We loaded the dogs back in the car, bid farewill to Spark (she was dogless because hers weren't feeling well :-( ) and headed home with an absolutely exhausted Mo and Ang. I think they had a great time. I know I did.

No comments: