Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Thursday, May 11, 2006

miscellaneous musings

My website is up and running! www.runswithdog.com Check it out. It isn't finished and there is a lot I want to change but I am pretty darned impressed with myself right now. All credit and thanks goes to Spark for all her help. She even walked me through some things on the phone, right off the cuff. And everyone knows how hard it is to verbally tell someone the steps of something that you are used to sitting at a keyboard and doing.
Yesterday, Mo and I ran. 2.7 miles or two big loops. It was warm although we went early and his tongue was hanging out the side of his mouth before we finished the first loop. I wonder if I am overtraining. It seems like my runs are getting harder physically and slower. I have my hr monitor by the side of my bed to take my resting hr but I just keep forgetting.
I met Jen P at the Y to do a little cardio before her weights class. We decided to do a little mini cycling class, because she has been wanting to try it. Her daughter's step sister and a 12 week client of her joined us. The big joke has always been that I beg her not to do walking lunges in her class. With running and cycling, my legs just cannot take them. I now think she knows why :-) It is funny how our body really becomes acclimatized to what we ask of it. Jen is in great shape but I could tell that she was 'feeling' it. A week or two of classes though and her body will get the message that this is what is expected now and respond. I have had runners come into a cycle class and struggle. Their cardio capacity is there, it is just that their body doesn't understand the new demands on it. They always adjust to it disgustingly fast though!
Because of other demands, I hadn't taken the weight class in a while so I was dreading it. But I don't feel too bad this morning. She did a lot of upper body and was quite perky. I think the little bike class warmed her up :-) I have always wanted to teach body cuts but there is no way in hell I will ever be able to lift and talk and count at the same time. I can barely get through Jen's class as it is. I don't know how she and the other body cuts instructors do it!

The forms are down off the basement and they have waterproofed the outside of it. Today is starting off beautiful but should get cool and rainy later. I don't know if they will do any work on it, anticipating the bad weather. Next steps I think will be pouring the basement floor and starting to frame. The whole thing looks way too small to me. I look a the outline of the basement and can't imagine a living/dining/kitchen, masterbed and bath, 2 bedrooms and another bath fitting in there. The porch and garage outline look bigger than the house! Could they have made a mistake like that? LOL

GWB's approval numbers are down again. And I read that Karl Rove will soon be indicted. Oh and GWB thinks his brother would make a great president. I hope that folks have enough sense to say 2 Bush's are enough! I am afraid that the past 8 years will not go down in history as a stellar period in American politics.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you talking about brother Jeb??
I don't even know what to say about that.

runswithdog said...

Uh huh. That is exactly what I am talking about! I guess their theory is you have to keep the business in the family.


Bush Backs Brother Jeb for White House
President Bush Says His Brother Jeb Would Make 'A Great President'
By NEDRA PICKLER
The Associated Press
ORLANDO, Fla. - President Bush suggested Wednesday that he'd like to see his family's White House legacy continue, perhaps with his younger brother Jeb as the chief executive.

The president said Florida Gov. Jeb Bush is well-suited for another office and would make "a great president."


"I would like to see Jeb run at some point in time, but I have no idea if that's his intention or not," Bush said in an interview with Florida reporters, according to an account on the St. Petersburg Times Web site.


The president said he had "pushed him fairly hard about what he intends to do," but Jeb has not said.


"I have no idea what he's going to do. I've asked him that question myself. I truly don't think he knows," Bush said.


Jeb Bush, 53, will end his second term as governor in January. His brother George ends his second presidential term in January 2009. Neither can seek re-election because of term limits.


Jeb Bush has repeatedly said he is not going to run in 2008.


But even his own father said no one believes him when he says he's not interested in running at some point. Former President George H.W. Bush told CNN's "Larry King Live" last year that he would like Jeb Bush to run one day and that he would be "awfully good" as president.


The Florida governor laughed when asked about his father's comments last June. "Oh, Lord," he said and shook his head no. "I love my dad."


The brothers Bush appeared together Tuesday during the president's visit to the Tampa area. Gov. Bush was waiting on the tarmac when Air Force One arrived and greeted the president with a politician's handshake and "Welcome to Florida." The president brushed aside the formality and playfully adjusted his younger brother's necktie.


Jeb Bush introduced his brother at a retirement community in Sun City Center, where the president touted the new Medicare prescription drug benefit as the governor watched intently from a politically appropriate seat on stage right. They had a private lunch together with political supporters, then visited a fire station and appeared together before television cameras to express concern about wildfires that were blazing across the state.


The governor was not with the president during his visit to The Puerto Rican Club of Central Florida in Orlando Wednesday George W. Bush's final stop on a three-day trip to the state. But the president was sure his brother still got some attention.


"Yesterday I checked in with my brother," President Bush said as he took the stage. "Make sure everything's going all right. I'm real proud of Jeb. He's a good decent man and I love him dearly."