Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Monday, May 22, 2006

Blue Monday

Less than 4 weeks to Green Lakes and I am in a sorry place. Another breakout of shingles - not painfully debilitating this time, thank goodness - but still pretty nasty looking. It has kept me out of the pool for the last two weeks and to be honest, I wasn't really tearing up the pool workouts as it went.

Ran Saturday at the park with Budge and Wen, did a four mile out and back. At one mile Budge was about 5 feet ahead of us and turned around to look at us. I told her to just go on and circle back for us at the end. Sheesh........ I have to find someone who runs 13 m/m so I can have the experience of being faster than someone :-) Wen stayed with me even though I told her to go on. We were right about 44 minutes for the 4 miles. 11 m/m. Not great but when I think about it, I can get some perspective. Yeah, 11 m/m isn't great, even for me, my fastest 5k is 10:20 m/m but I must be gaining some fitness and endurance since never before was I able to maintain 11 m/m pace for 4 miles. It does seem like I am able to run at a steady pace for longer.

Mo and I went out this morning and did our 2.7 mile loop in 28:48. Not great but I felt good and probably could have gone faster by myself. I put him out before we left because....well....remember what running makes Mo do? So did he take advantage and do his business so he would be prepared to run? No. He stood outside the door, screaming. "Huuuu, huuuuuuuuuuu, ooooowllllllllllllllllllll". I let him in and his toenails were literally going 'tap-tap-tap' on the floor because he was shaking so much in anticipation. We head out, don't even get to our usual starting point at the end of the path and there he goes, takes a huge dump. He was sure light on his feet after that :-)

No comments: